Saturday, November 30, 2013

Weights are important, too!


Alright, I know most of you are probably afraid of weight training.  Truth is...me too.  I don't lift weights nearly as much as I should.  This is especially a problem for women.

Why?  Well, some women are afraid that if they work out with weights, they'll end up looking like this:


That's just not true.  It's not what happens when you incorporate weight training into your exercise routine.  


My biggest setback to weight training is that it's significantly harder for me because it's not something that I'm used to (yet). 

For other women the problem is the gender stereotype that women should only do cardio exercises.  Why else would we have the terms "meathead" and "cardio queen" floating around?  Society tells us that men should lift weights and women should do cardio.  We all need both.  

According to this Livestrong article, there are several benefits of weight lifting for women's health.   

1. Building muscle mass
2. Improving everyday performance
3. Maintaining or losing weight
4. Building strong bones
5. Reducing symptoms of disease
6. Protecting against injury

One of my favorite weightlifting classes is BodyPump by LesMills.  Check it out! 

Zumba Jam of the week: "Oliver Twist"

No comments:

Post a Comment